Med Vet Urban
The UF/IFAS Entomology and Nematology Department has a major commitment to conduct research in medical, veterinary and urban entomology and to provide research-based educational opportunities for future specialists in these fields. Medical, veterinary and urban pests are especially severe in Florida’s subtropical and tropical conditions, so there is a special need to develop significant efforts in research to support our academic and Extension programs.
A large contingent of medical entomology faculty works at the UF/IFAS Florida Medical Entomology Laboratory in Vero Beach, and many others work in association with the USDA-ARS Center for Medical, Agricultural, and Veterinary Entomology Laboratory in Gainesville. Outstanding research opportunities exist at the main campus in Gainesville and at several UF/IFAS Research and Education Centers throughout the state.
The faculty members listed below have a strong research focus in this area. Click on the names below to learn more about their research programs.
- Barry Alto, Medical Entomology, Arbovirology, Associate Professor
- Rebecca Baldwin Urban Integrated Pest Management, Undergraduate Coordinator, Associate Professor
- Eva Buckner Medical Entomology Extension, Assistant Professor
- Edwin R. Burgess IV Veterinary Entomology, Assistant Professor
- Nathan Burkett-Cadena Mosquito Ecology, Biology of Disease Hosts, Assistant Professor
- Lindsay Campbell Mosquito Ecology, Assistant Professor
- Eric Caragata Mosquito-Microbe Interaction, Asssistant Professor
- Thomas Chouvenc Urban Entomology, Assistant Professor. Please visit the Florida Termite Distribution Map.
- William Kern Urban Entomology, Associate Professor
- Yoosook Lee Molecular Ecology, Population Genomics, Bioinformatics, Assistant Professor
- Cynthia Lord Population Dynamics, Associate Professor
- Estelle Martin Invertebrate Vectors of Disease and Public Health, Assistant Professor
- Derrick Matthias Mosquito/Arbovirus Biology, Assistant Professor
- Faith Oi Urban Entomology, Extension Associate Professor
- Roberto Pereira Urban Entomology, FPMA Endowed Professor, Extension Professor
- Lawrence Reeves Mosquito Biology and Ecology, Assistant Professor
- Jorge Rey Wetlands Ecology, Center Director and Professor
- Michael Scharf Urban Entomology, Sapp Endowed Professor
- Rudolf Scheffrahn Biology and Control of Termites, Professor
- Chelsea Smartt Molecular Entomology, Medical Entomology, Associate Professor
- Nan-Yao Su Biology and Control of Termites, Structural and Household Pests, Distinguished Professor
- Panpim Thongsripong Vector-borne Disease Ecology, Virus Evolution, Assistant Professor