Dr. Rebecca Baldwin
Associate Professor and Undergraduate Coordinator
Dr. Baldwin is the undergraduate coordinator and an assistant professor for the Entomology and Nematology Department.
My research interests stem around education and training for the pest control industry. My research consists of testing low impact pesticides using fatty acid salts that can be utilized in environments with children. The target environments will include schools and daycare centers, and the target pests include ants and cockroaches. My research also includes testing training materials for the pest control industry.
- Instructor for Bugs and People ENY 1001 (2011-present)
- Instructor for The Insects ENY 2040 (2009-2012)
- Instructor for Life Science ENY 3007/5106 (Fall 2007-2011)
- Instructor for Principles of Entomology and Graduate Survey of Entomology Distance Courses and Lab ENY 3005/ 5006 (2001-2005, 2007 - present)
- Instructor for First Year Florida (Fall 2015)
1881 Natural Area Dr
Gainesville, FL 32611
- Ph.D., 2005, Urban Entomology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL (Dissertation title: Public perceptions of urban pest management and the toxicity of fatty acid salts to cockroaches)
- M.S., 2000, Biology, University of Louisiana at Monroe, Monroe, LA (Thesis title: Predator detection by damselfly larvae (Zygoptera: Coenagrionidae) from a south temperate habitat)
- B.A., 1998, General Studies/Biology Honors, Northeast Louisiana University, Monroe, LA (Honors project - Population Genetics of the Asian Ladybeetle in Northeast Louisiana)
- 2010-Current, Associate Professor, University of Florida, Entomology and Nematology
- 2007-2010, Senior Lab Teaching Specialist, University of Florida, Entomology and Nematology
- 2006-2007, Assistant Extension Scientist (Co-Director, School IPM Program), University of Florida, Entomology and Nematology
- 2001-2005, Graduate Teaching Assistant, University of Florida, Entomology and Nematology
- 2000-2001, Environmental Lab Technician, Riverwood International, Environmental
- 1999-2000, Substitute Teacher, Ouachita Parish School Board K-12
- 1997-2000, Educational Director, Mosquito Control Inc.
- 1994-1996, Customer Engineer, Technology Service Solutions, Computer repair
Publications: Books and Chapters
- Pereira, R. M., J. Cooksey, R. W. Baldwin, and P. Koehler . 2014. Filth Fly Management in Urban Environments, pp. 43-64. In: P. Dhang (ed.), Urban Insect Pests: Sustainable Management Strategies.
- Koehler, P.G. Buss, E. Pereira, R. Kern,W. and R.W. Baldwin. 2013. Pests in and Around the Southern Home. IFAS Books SP486, Gainesville, FL 331 pp.
- Baldwin, R.W. 2008 Soaps as Insecticides. p210-216. In J.L. Capinera (ed.)Encyclopedia of Entomology.Springer, NY
- C.A. McNeill, R.W. Baldwin, R M. Pereira, E. Harlow, T. G. Roberts,and P. G. Koehler. 2016. Development and Implementation of a Bed Bug IPM Enrichment Curriculum. American Entomologist (accepted).
- C.A. McNeill, R.W. Baldwin, R M. Pereira, and P. G. Koehler. 2016. Behavioral Responses of Nymph and Adult Cimex lectularius (Hemiptera: Cimicidae) to Colored Harborages. Journal of Medical Entomology. (accepted)
- C. Parker*, R. Baldwin, R. Pereira, P. Koehler. 2015. Evaluation of Cyantraniliprole and Other Commercial Fly Baits under Laboratory and Field Conditions. Insects 6(4), 977-987.
- C.S. Bibbs,* A.M. Vitoreli,* G. Benny, C.L. Harmon, and R.W. Baldwin 2013. Susceptibility of Latrodectus geometricus to a Mucor strain discovered in north central Florida, USA. Florida Entomologist 96(3): 1052-1061.
- Baldwin, R.W., P.G. Koehler, and R.M. Pereira. 2008. Toxicity of fatty acid salts to German and American cockroaches. Journal of Economic Entomology 101: 1384-1388.
- Baldwin, R.W., P.G. Koehler, R.M. Pereira, and F.M. Oi. 2008. Public perceptions of pest problems. American Entomologist 54: 73-79.
- Baldwin, R.W. and P.G. Koehler. 2007. Toxicity of commercially available household cleaners on cockroaches, Blatella germanica and Periplaneta americana. Fl. Entomol. 9-(4):703-709.
- 2014 - 2015, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences Advisor of the Year award
- 2014 - 2015, Roche Teaching Fellow
- 2013 - present, Board Certified Entomologist
- 2013, Friends of Extension IFAS Support Award
- 2009, Friends of Southern IPM Bright Idea Award
- 2005, ESA 1st place Ph.D. paper competition
- 2005, Professional Women of Pest Management Scholarship
- 2005, EPA Award for Protecting Children's Health (School IPM)
- 2005, IFAS Certificate for work on School IPM Pest Press
- 2004, IFAS Agricultural Women's Club Scholarship
- 2004, FES 1st place Ph.D. paper competition
- 2003, FES Student Paper Competition 2nd Place Award
- 2003, NACTA Graduate Student Teaching Award
- 2003, Smithsonian/ Orkin Student Internship winner
- 2002, University of Florida President's Award for Outstanding Achievement
- 2002, FDACS Research Grant, $21,000
- 2002, 2003, Pi Chi Omega Scholarship for Urban Entomology Research, $1500
- 2002, CALS Honors Contract Teacher recognition
- 2002, FES Scholarship, $500
- 2001-2005, Graduate Student Council Travel Grant
- 2001-2005, IFAS Travel Grant, $200
- 2002-2005, FES Travel Grant and Mini-Grants, $100-$200
- NLUHonors Program - graduate
- Who's Who Among American College Students
- Intercollegiate Honor Band member (Louisiana)