University of Florida
Entomology and Nematology Dept.
Building 970, Natural Area Dr. (Steinmetz Hall)
Gainesville, FL 32611
Phone: (352) 273-3940
(90% Research, 10% Teaching)
- B.S., University of Cincinnati (Chemistry), 1971
- M.S., University of Cincinnati (Biological Sciences), 1974
- Ph.D., Purdue University (Entomology), 1978
Relevant Employment History
- Professor (1988-present); Associate Professor (1985-1988) Dept. Entomology and Nematology, University of Florida, Gainesville.
- Associate Professor (1983-1985); Assistant Professor (1978-1983),Tropical Research and Education Center, Homestead, Florida.
- Research Assistant, Purdue University, (1974-1978).
- Teaching Assistant, University of Cincinnati, (1972-1974).
- Agricultural Ecology - sustainable agricultural practices; pest management (especially nematodes, insects, weeds); combining pest management and soil/crop fertility; environmental impacts of agriculture
- Nematode Ecology - factors affecting nematode community structure; role of non-parasitic nematodes in nutrient cycling and decomposition; nematodes as bioindicators of ecosystem health or disturbance
- Alternative Methods for Nematode Management - managing nematode pests by resistant cultivars, solarization, cover crops, crop rotation, and other nonchemical practices; alternatives to methyl bromide
- ALS 3153, Agricultural Ecology
- ALS 5136, Agricultural Ecology Principles and Applications
- NEM 6201, Nematode Ecology
- Powers, L. E., and R. McSorley. 2000. Ecological Principles of Agriculture. Delmar Thomson Learning, Albany, NY. (see http://www.agriscience.delmar.com/)
- Gallaher, R. N., and R. McSorley. 1997. Proceedings of the 20th Annual Southern Conservation Tillage Conference for Sustainable Agriculture. Special Series SS-AGR-60, Cooperative Extension Service, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL.
Publications (selected recent publications)
Recent Book Chapters
- McSorley, R. 2011. Nematodes. Pp. 25-5 to 25-12 in P. Nannipieri, E. Paul, Y. Li, and M. Sumner (eds). Handbook of Soil Science, 2nd Ed. Taylor and Francis, Boca Raton, FL.
- McGovern, R.J., and R. McSorley. 2012. Management of bacterial and fungal plant pathogens by soil solarization. Pp. 53-62 in A. Gamliel and J. Katan (eds.). Soil solarization: Theory and practice. APS Press, The American Phytopathological Society, St. Paul, MN.
- McSorley, R., and R.J. McGovern. 2012. Management of nematode pathogens by soil solarization. Pp. 63-70 in A. Gamliel and J. Katan (eds.). Soil solarization: Theory and practice. APS Press, The American Phytopathological Society, St. Paul, MN.
Publications in Refereed Journals (last 5 years)
- Fraulo, A.B., R. McSorley, and O.E. Liburd. 2008. Effect of the biological control agent Neoseiulus californicus (Acari: Phytoseiidae) on arthropod community structure in north Florida strawberry fields. Florida Entomol. 91:436-445.
- Linares, J.C., J.M.S. Scholberg, K. Boote, C.A. Chase, J. Ferguson, and R. McSorley. 2008. Use of the cover crop weed index to evaluate weed suppression by cover crops in organic citrus orchards. HortScience 43:27-34.
- McSorley, R., K.-H. Wang, and G. Church. 2008. Suppression of root-knot nematodes in natural and agricultural soils. Appl. Soil Ecol. 39:291-298.
- Seman-Varner, R., R. McSorley, and R.N. Gallaher. 2008. Soil nutrient and plant responses to solarization in an agroecosystem utilizing an organic nutrient source. Renewable Agric. Food Syst. 23:149-154.
- Wang, K.-H., and R. McSorley. 2008. Exposure time to lethal temperatures for Meloidogyne incognita suppression and its implication in soil solarization. J. Nematol. 40:7-12.
- Wang, K.-H., R. McSorley, R.N. Gallaher, and N. Kokalis-Burelle. 2008. Cover crops and organic mulches for nematode, weed, and plant health management. Nematology 10:231-242.
- McSorley, R., K.-H.Wang, and J.J. Frederick. 2008. Integrated effects of solarization, sunn hemp cover crop, and amendment on nematodes, weeds, and pepper yields. Nematropica 38:115-125.
- Gill, H.K., R. McSorley, and D.D. Treadwell. 2009. Comparative performance of different plastic films for soil solarization and weed suppression. HortTechnol. 19:769- 774.
- McGroary, P., W.T. Crow, R. McSorley, R.M. Giblin-Davis, and J.L. Cisar. 2009. Seasonal fluctuations of Belonolaimus longicaudatus in bermudagrass. Nematropica 39:99-110.
- McSorley, R., K.-H. Wang, E.N. Rosskopf, N. Kokalis-Burelle, H.N. HansPetersen, H.K. Gill, and R. Krueger. 2009. Nonfumigant alternatives to methyl bromide for management of nematodes, soil-borne disease, and weeds in production of snapdragon (Antirrhinum majus). Internat. J. Pest Manage. 55:265-273.
- Portman, S.L., J.H. Frank, R. McSorley, and N.C. Leppla. 2009. Fecundity of Larra bicolor (Hymenoptera: Crabronidae) and its implications in parasitoid: host interaction with mole crickets (Orthoptera: Gryllotalpidae: Scapteriscus). Florida Entomol. 92:58-63.
- McSorley, R., D.R. Seal, W. Klassen, K.-H. Wang, and C.R.R. Hooks. 2009. Non-target effects of sunn hemp and marigold cover crops on the soil invertebrate community. Nematropica 39:235-245.
- Bhan, M., R. McSorley, and C.A. Chase. 2010. Effect of cropping system complexity on plant-parasitic nematodes associated with organically grown vegetables in Florida. Nematropica 40:53-70.
- Gill, H.K., R. McSorley, G. Goyal, and S.E. Webb. 2010. Mulch as a potential management strategy for lesser cornstalk borer, Elasmopalpus lignosellus (Insecta: Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) in bush bean (Phaseolus vulgaris). Florida Entomol. 93:183-190.
- Gill, H.K., and R. McSorley. 2010. Effect of integrating soil solarization and organic mulching on the soil surface insect community. Florida Entomol. 93:308-309.
- Linares, J., J. Scholberg, D. Graetz, K. Boote, R. McSorley, and C. Chase. 2010. Effects of perennial peanut and common bermudagrass on nitrogen and water uptake in young citrus trees. J. Plant Nutrition 33:200-218.
- Portman, S.L., J.H. Frank, R. McSorley, and N.C. Leppla. 2010. Nectar-seeking and host-seeking by Larra bicolor (Hymenoptera: Crabronidae), a parasitoid of Scapteriscus mole crickets (Orthoptera: Gryllotalpidae). Environ. Entomol. 39:939-943.
- Hanspetersen, H.N., R. McSorley, and O.E. Liburd. 2010. The impact of intercropping squash with non-crop vegetation borders on the above-ground arthropod community. Florida Entomol. 93:590-608.
- Hooks, C.R.R., K.-H. Wang, A. Ploeg, and R. McSorley. 2010. Using marigold (Tagetes spp.) as a cover crop to protect crops from plant-parasitic nematodes. Appl. Soil Ecol. 46:307-320.
- Willcox, E.V., G.W. Tanner, W.M. Giuliano, and R. McSorley. 2010. Avian community response to grazing intensity on monoculture and mixed Florida pastures. Rangeland Ecol. Mgmt. 63:203-222.
- Luc, J.E., W.T. Crow, R. McSorley, and R.M. Giblin-Davis. 2010. Suppression of Belonolaimus longicaudatus with in vitro-produced Pasteuria sp. endospores. Nematropica 40:217-225.
- Gill, H.K., R. McSorley, and M. Branham. 2011. Effect of organic mulches on soil surface insects and other arthropods. Florida Entomol. 94:226-232.
- Luc, J.E., W.T. Crow, W. Pang, R. McSorley, and R.M. Giblin-Davis. 2011. Effects of irrigation, thatch, and wetting agent on movement of Pasteuria sp. endospores in turf. Nematropica 41:185-190.
- Luc, J.E., W. Pang, W.T. Crow, R. McSorley, and R.M. Giblin-Davis. 2011. Specificity of in vitro-produced Pasteuria sp. endospores to suppress Belonolaimus longicaudatus. Nematropica 41:248-253.
- McSorley, R. 2011. Effect of disturbances on trophic groups in soil nematode assemblages. Nematology 13:553-559.
- McSorley, R. 2011. Amegda J. Overman (1920-2011) pioneer in nematode management. Nematropica 41:1-2.
- McSorley, R. 2011. Assessment of rotation crops and cover crops for management of root-knot nematodes (Meloidogyne spp.) in the southeastern United States. Nematropica 21:200-214.
- Pang, W., W.T. Crow, J.E. Luc, R. McSorley, R.M. Giblin-Davis, K.E. Kenworthy, and J.K. Kruse. 2011. Comparison of water displacement and WinRHIZO software for plant root parameter assessment. Plant Disease 95:1308-1310.
- Pang, W., J.E. Luc, W.T. Crow, K.E. Kenworthy, R.M. Giblin-Davis, R. McSorley, and J.K. Kruse. 2011. Bermudagrass cultivar responses to sting nematodes. Crop Science 51:2199-2203.
- Gill, H.K., and R. McSorley. 2011. Effects of different organic mulches on the soil surface arthropod community and weeds in snapdragon. International Journal of Pest Management 58:33-40.
- McSorley, R. 2011. Trends in the Journal of Nematology, 1969-2009: Authors, states, nematodes, and subject matter. Journal of Nematology 43:63-68.
- McSorley, R. 2011. Overview of organic amendments for management of plant- parasitic nematodes, with case studies from Florida. Journal of Nematology 43:69-81.
- Pang, W., J.E.Luc, W.T. Crow, K.E. Kenworthy, R. McSorley, J.K. Kruse, and R.M. Giblin-Davis. 2011. Responses of seashore paspalum cultivars to sting and spiral nematodes. Crop Science 51:2864-2867.
- Pang, W., J.E. Luc, W.T. Crow, K.E. Kenworthy, R. McSorley, and R.M. Giblin-Davis. 2011. Screening bermudagrass germplasm accessions for tolerance to sting nematodes. HortScience 46:1503-1506.
- Pang, W., J.E. Luc, W.T. Crow, K.E. Kenworthy, R.M. Giblin-Davis, R. McSorley, and J.K. Kruse. 2011. Field responses of bermudagrass and seashore paspalum cultivars to sting and spiral nematodes. Journal of Nematology 43:201-208.
- Barrett, C.E., X. Zhao, and R. McSorley. 2012. Grafting for root-knot nematode control and yield improvement in organic heirloom tomato production. HortScience 47:614-620.
- Gill, H.K., G. Goyal, and R. McSorley. 2012. Diel activity of fauna in different habitats sampled at the autumnal equinox. Florida Entomologist 95:318-324.
- McSorley, R. 2012. Ecology of the dorylaimid omnivore genera Aporcelaimellus, Eudorylaimus and Mesodorylaimus. Nematology 14:645-663.
- Ozores-Hampton, M., R. McSorley, and P.A. Stansly. 2012. Effects of long-term organic amendments and soil sanitation on weed and nematode populations in pepper and watermelon crops in Florida. Crop Protection 41:106-112.