(90% Teaching, 10% Research)
- B.S., Purdue University (Entomology), 1964
- M.S., Purdue University (Entomology), 1967
- Ph.D., University of Florida (Entomology), 1970
Relevant Employment History
- Assistant Professor (1970-1974), University of Massachusetts
- Assistant Professor (1975-1977), University of Florida
- Associate Professor (1978-1980), University of Florida
- Professor (1980-2009), University of Florida
- Professor Emeritus, (2010-present)
Don currently teaches a general entomology course for non-science majors during the fall and spring semesters. He also teaches an insect field biology course for education majors during the summer semester and offer grant supported science institutes for inservice science teachers. Non-course teaching activities include pedagogical research and development of computer-based multimedia including creation of original animations.
Develop and distribute information to help citizens recognize, understand, and manage populations of insects affecting trees in urban and forest settings.
- Two new courses(ENY 2040 and ENY 3030) that are both now enrolled to capacity.
- Approximately 500 K-12 teachers trained to use insects to teach science.
- Don has been one of the leaders in educational technology at the University of Florida and now offers ENY 2040 - "The Insects" in multimedia format (liberally supplemented with many live insects). In order to do this, he has spent many hours learning Multimedia Toolbook, authoring software which has its own scripting language. During the 1996-97 academic year he has a 10% overload appointment with the University of Florida's Office of Instructional Resources to assist other faculty with instructional design and multimedia. He also serves as a member of the advisory board for the University of Florida's Center for Excellence in Teaching.
Honors and Awards
- 1996 Southern Regional Outstanding Teacher Award. National Association of Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture
- 1996 Teacher Fellow Award. National Association of Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture
- 1996 - Distinguished Achievement Award in Teaching -- Entomological Society of America
- 1996. - Distinguished Achievement Award in Teaching -- Entomological Society of America (Southeastern Branch)
- 1996 - Innovative Excellence in Teaching, Learning, and Technology Award -- Seventh National Conference on Teaching, Learning, and Technology, Jacksonville, FL.
- 1995 - Florida Blue Key Distinguished Faculty Award. Florida Blue Key leadership honorary.
- Teaching Improvement Award (1993) - University of Florida.
- Teacher of the Year (1991/1992) - College of Agriculture, University of Florida
- Achievement Award in Teaching (1990) - Florida Entomological Society
- 1996 - "Creating Computer-based Instructional Animations" NACTA '96 Conference. University of Minnesota at Crookston. June 16.
- 1996 - "Introduction to Inquiry Learning" Conversations about Science and Mathematics Workshop. Sponsored by Florida Space Grant Consortium, Higher Education Consortium, and U.F. Center for Excellence in Teaching. Ocala, FL. April 20.
- 1996 - "Creating Computer-based Instructional Animations: Examples from an Entomology Course" Seventh National Conference on Teaching and Learning. Jacksonville, Florida. March 22.
- 1995 - "Teaching with Multimedia." U.F. College of Medicine, December 15, 1995.
- 1995 - "Multimedia in the Classroom." University Center for Excellence in Teaching "Conversations About Teaching" series. November 8
- 1995 - "Teaching with Multimedia." U.F. College of Veterinary Medicine Teaching Technology Workshop. Presentations on September 21 & 22.
- 1995 - "Developing an Effective Course Syllabus & The First Week of Class." Opening session. O.I.R. Campus-wide U.F. Graduate Student Teaching Assistant Training Workshop. August 17.
- 1995 - "Multimedia in the Classroom." U.F. Workshop on Academic Management. "Maximizing Your Leadership Potential" March 20.
- 1995 - "What is Multimedia?" Teaching Technology Symposium. S.E. Branch Mtgs. of the Entomological Society of America. March 6. Charleston, S.C.
- 1995 - "Integrating Media with Multimedia Toolbook" Teaching Technology Symposium. S.E. Branch Mtgs. of the Entomological Society of America. March 6. Charleston, S.C.
- 1995 - "Preparing Graduate Students to Teach." University of Florida College of Agriculture Teaching Workshop "Future Directions in Graduate Education". February 17.
- 1994 - "Technology for Teaching" IFAS SHARE Investors Recognition Weekend. October 29.
- 1994 - "Insect Field Biology: Putting the Excitement Back into Learning about Science" Keynote Address. Annual Conference of the Society for Vector Ecology. October 3.
- 1994 - "Professional Biologists/Ecologists and K-12 Teachers: a Winning Combination." Association of Southeastern Biologists Annual Meeting. April 15. Orlando, FL
- 1994 - "Insects as Tools for Teaching Ecology and Environmental Biology" North American Benthological Society annual meetings. May 24-27. Orlando, FL
- 1994 - "Insect Field Biology as an Arena for Teaching Science: 'Reality' is Better than 'Virtual Reality'." Teaching Symposium. Florida Entomological Society annual meeting. August 11. Stuart, FL
Grants and Contracts (Total $324,000 over last 5 years)
P.I. - National Science Foundation (1992-1995), Institute of Ecosystem Studies (1994-1995) UF-OIR (1994) USDA (1987-1992;1993-1997) S.C. Johnson and Sons (1989-1994)
- Book chapters: 2
- Refereed papers: 49
- Hall, D.W. 1996 Multimedia in the entomology classroom. American Entomologist (Feature Article) 42:92-98.
- Hall, D.W. 1996. Computer-based animations in large enrollment lectures: visual reinforcement of biological concepts. Journal of College Science Teaching 25:421-425.
- Hall, D.W. 1996. Creating computer-based instructional animations. NACTA Journal 40(2):8-11.
- Hall, D.W. 1996 Preparing graduate students to teach. American Entomologist 42:8-10.
- Hall, D.W. 1995. Bringing hands-on experience to teaching insect field biology: an exciting arena for learning ecology and science-process skills at the University of Florida. Journal of College Science Teaching 24:195-200.
- Hall, D.W. 1995. Graduate student teaching credentials: potential value to new Ph.D's in obtaining employment. NACTA Journal 39(4):9-11.
- Hall, D.W. 1994. "Potential for Microbial Control of Subterranean Termites" In: D. Rosen, F. Bennett and J. Capinera, (eds.), Pest Management in the Tropics: Biological Control - a Florida Perspective. Intercept Ltd. Andover, Hampshire, UK. pp.381-393.
- Hall, D.W. and N. Hostettler. 1993. Septate gregarines from Reticulitermes flavipes and Reticulitermes virginicus (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae). Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology40(1):29-33.
- Hall, D.W. and B.V. Brown. 1993. Pollination of Aristolochialittoralis Parodi (Aristolochiales: Aristolochiaceae) by males of Megaselia spp. (Diptera: Phoridae). Annals of the Entomological Society of America 86(5): 609-613.